Sunday, July 6, 2014

Minecraft: The Daylight Sensor


Have you ever been yelled at for leaving a light on?  I know when I was a kid I used to get yelled at a lot.  It never made much sense until I started paying electricity bills.  If only there were a neat way to make sure things only turned on at night.   It turns out we have such a thing as our disposal:  the Daylight Sensor


That Brown and white tic-tac-toe board is the daylight sensor.  When daylight hits it, it will emit a signal as strong as the daylight it is being hit with.  Dawn and dusk it won't go very far, and at noon it will be at it's strongest

In this case I put an inverter right next to it.  This is because I want my house lights to be on when it is dark.  I ran the circuit into four red stone lamps.  These should keep the house well lit when it is dark, and light up this upper area as well.


Then I ran the circuit through a repeater and downstairs.  Through another inverter along the way before hitting the iron door for the building.

Now we have a building that automatically unlocks during the daytime, and locks itself as soon as the sun goes down.  You have to keep those creepers and skeletons out of your nicely furnished home.


These are super simple approaches that merely illustrate a couple of different ways a daylight sensor can work.  The most important bit to remember is that you can leave it as is if you want it to provide power during the day.  Or you can run it into an inverter and have it power something when it is dark.

What it powers is largely up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment